I’ll walk you through purchasing a domain name in simple steps in this guide.
This guide also includes a list of the essential factors before buying website domain names.
So, let’s dive in.
How to buy a website domain name, whether it is a [dot] com ending or something else, for WordPress or anything else?
Since you are diving into this guide to buy a domain online, you don’t need to go elsewhere.
- Total premium retail revenue amounted to over $2M, a 2.3% growth over H1 2020 at $1.96M.
- A total of 1,194 new names were sold, while 1,160 were renewed.
- .TECH,ONLINE and .STORE were the highest-grossing TLDs concerning premium sales.
- New premium registrations contributed to about 40% of the total premium revenue for this period.
- GoDaddy’s premium registrations can be attributed to 40% of premium sales.
- Over 50 domains were registered with a tier price of $5000 or more.
It’s a little more challenging than simply shopping for the cheapest domain registrar for your website.
If you have issues with the registrar after purchasing a domain name, it is better to check before registering a domain name.
How to buy a domain name forever?
You can not buy a domain name forever; ten years is the regular registration period.
You can renew after ten years.
So, we will consider some important things before choosing a domain name from a registrar.
Important things to consider before choosing the correct Domain Registrar
Here, I have listed some essential points to consider when choosing a domain name registrar company and avoiding scams.
- Important things to consider before choosing the correct Domain Registrar
#1. Be Aware Of Domain Name Transfer Policy
Before purchasing a website domain name from a registrar, read the domain transfer policy if it’s too complicated or pricey.
Usually, you wouldn’t need to transfer your domain name immediately, but if you’re dissatisfied with your current registrar, you should be able to do so quickly.
- Remember that a domain name cannot be transferred within the first 60 days after registration.
- After 60 days, you can transfer it to any other registrar.
- Most domain registrars make it simple to transfer domain names at no additional cost.
- On the other hand, some may try to make it difficult or demand an additional price to remove the domain lock.
You can also check out how to transfer a domain name.
#2. Check Domain Name Price Carefully
To buy a website domain name, you must check the price carefully.
You may be tied into a multi-year deal.
The first thing you should look at is the cost of a domain name.
Some domain registrars, for example, may offer cheap or discounted upfront rates for the first year of registration, but when it comes time to renew, their renewal prices might be much higher.
Domain Name Registration Period
- A domain name can be registered for a minimum of one year.
- A domain name can be registered for up to ten years.
- However, specific domain name-providing companies may demand a longer registration time, such as a minimum of two years.
#3. Domain Name Expiration
A domain is rented rather than purchased.
How to get a domain name that never expires?
Well, domain names are generally registered for a limited time, like 1 to 10 years.
If you fail to renew your lease, someone else may be able to take it away from you.
- You can extend the life of your domain registration before it expires.
- If you forget to renew your domain name, it will expire, and anybody can register it.
- You may set up auto-renewal for your domain name to prevent this from happening.
Look for a registrant who provides automatic renewals and a grace period.
You can renew your expired domain name within this grace period.
#4. Registration Period
If you are buying a domain name for the first time, I advise you to register your domain name for one year if you purchase a new web address.
Later, you can renew it for a more extended period, like 1 to 10 years.
As discussed earlier, most domain name registrars enable you to register for up to 10 years.
But rarely, there are domain name registrars where you can extend the registration of a domain name for up to 100 years.
Network Solutions is one domain registrar that enables you to register or rent a domain name for 100 years, which we will discuss further in this guide.
Your domain will not expire if you enable automatic renewal.
Looking into any additional fees associated with domain transfers, renewals, and other expenses would be best.
#5. Update your domain’s Privacy Protection
You must upload your personal information to a public database as a website owner.
When you don’t use privacy protection services or features, your essential data will be Unprotected such as
- Your Full Name
- Your Business Name
- Your Street Address
- Your Phone Number
- Your Email Address
But with privacy protection
- You will not let your personal information go into the wrong hands.
- You can stop receiving junk emails, spam, or phone calls from the domain.
- You can avoid being stalked or harassed by possible stalkers.
- And you can protect your website and domain against illegal access.
To protect your identity, domain privacy protection masks your primary contact information.
How to buy a domain name with privacy protection?
You must choose the WHOIS privacy protection before or after purchasing a domain name from your settings.
#6. Subdomains availability
How to buy a domain name with subdomains?
You don’t need to register the Subdomains individually.
However, you should check with your registrar to see if adding a subdomain to your site is available and straightforward.
#7. Add-on Service or Hidden Pricing
For first-time domain registrations, some domain registrars may have special offers for cheaper domains.
When you buy a domain name, watch for hidden prices and fees because certain domain name registrars will immediately check for add-on services.
The renewal charges of the domain are sometimes considerably different and even more significant, which most newcomers are unaware of.
You must pay close attention to the checkout page and uncheck any unnecessary add-on services or upsells.
If you do not uncheck those choices, your cost will be much higher.
Additionally, it’s a good idea to double-check the entire amount charged to your credit card accounts.
Domain privacy, domain parking, extended expiration protection, and other add-on services may be available.
Some domain registrars may also offer WordPress hosting, email hosting, website builders, and email marketing services, among other things.
So now, we have learned the essential things to consider before choosing the right domain name.
But how do you buy a website domain?
Well, it is not so hard…It’s straightforward.
Now, let’s see how you can buy a domain name with simple steps.
[Steps] How to purchase a domain name for a business, blog, or personal use?
Here is the step-by-step guide on purchasing and registering a domain name for your business, blog, or personal websites.
- [Steps] How to purchase a domain name for a business, blog, or personal use?
- Step #1. Choose a Perfect Domain Name for your business or blog
- Step #2. Choose a Reliable Domain Registrar
- Step #3. Check the Domain Name availability with Domain Registrar
- Step #4. Register Your Domain Name
- Step #5: Protect your Domain Name
- Step #6: Renew Your Domain Name
- #Bonus: How to buy a domain name that is taken OR How to buy a domain name from someone?
Step #1. Choose a Perfect Domain Name for your business or blog
Before you buy a domain name, you must choose a perfect domain name for your business or blog website, considering essential points.
You must pick a domain name that is memorable and relevant to your brand.
Step #2. Choose a Reliable Domain Registrar
You have selected the domain name for your business or blog website here.
But where to buy a domain name?
Let’s see how you can do so…
Once you’ve chosen the domain name, you must select a domain registrar from which to purchase it.
You can choose from many domain registrar websites, and you must pick one that is reputable and provides excellent customer service.
You can check out the guide on the best place to buy a domain name list to choose from.
Step #3. Check the Domain Name availability with Domain Registrar
When you’ve decided on a domain name, you should see the domain name availability if it’s available.
Most domain registrar websites include a search bar where you can enter the desired domain name to see if it is available.
If the domain name is not available, the website will suggest similar domain names that are.
Go to the Domain Name Registrar you have chosen above.
And find[put] your Domain Keyword in Domain Name Search Section and enter the domain name you want to search
Hit the Search Domain button
Step #4. Register Your Domain Name
Now, it’s time to register your domain name.
You’ll need to provide personal information, such as your name, address, and email address, to register your domain name.
You’ll also need to choose how long it takes to register your domain name.
The majority of domain registrar websites offer registration periods of one, two, or three years.
A. Choose the Domain Name from the search results
In the Domain Name Search availability check, you will see the results like this…
- The result will show the available domain names for your keyword.
- It will show the [dot]com and other domain extension results.
- Some Domain Registrars provide more varieties of Domain Name Extensions.
- You can also see the initial price and the renewal prices.
B. Add the domain name(s) to the Cart for registration
Once you choose the domain name, add it(them) to the Cart.
Some domain providers show add-ons before or while checking out the page.
So, you better uncheck the unnecessary add-ons and continue to the cart page.
C. Login or create your new account
To buy domain names, you have to Sign-Up, if you are a new user or sign in if you already have an account.
If you are new, signing up with an email account is recommended.
D. Check out and make payment
Now, from the Cart, you must pay and purchase the domain name or register a domain name.
Most domain registrar websites accept credit cards, PayPal, and bank transfers as payment methods.
You can choose the most convenient payment method that fits you.
After you purchase a domain name, you will receive an email with instructions on managing it, such as changing the DNS settings.
E. Choose Your Privacy Settings
When registering a domain name, your personal information is made public in the Whois database.
This can lead to spam emails and phone calls.
Most domain registrar websites provide privacy settings [for free or paid] that hide your personal information in the Whois database to protect your privacy.
You have to enable this button if it’s turned off by default.
You will get an idea of how to register a domain name with domain name registrar companies, as the process is almost the same as this process.
Step #5: Protect your Domain Name
Once you buy a website domain, secure your domain name from thieves or scammers.
Step #6: Renew Your Domain Name
It would be best to renew your domain name regularly to avoid expiration.
When it’s time to renew your domain name, most domain registrar websites will send you an email reminder to renew your domain name.
To avoid losing your domain name, renew it before it expires and make it safe.
#Bonus: How to buy a domain name that is taken OR How to buy a domain name from someone?
If you want to buy a domain online that is already taken by someone else, then you have a few options for acquiring it:
- Contact the current owner: Try to find the current owner’s contact information and ask them if they’re willing to sell the domain name.
- Consider using a domain broker if you’re having trouble contacting the current owner or negotiating a price. These professionals can assist you in negotiating a deal and acquiring the domain name.
- Wait for it to expire: if the current owner does not renew their domain registration, it will become available for purchase again at some point. You can watch the domain name to see if it becomes available and then purchase it when it does.
- If you can’t get the domain name you want, consider selecting an alternative that is still descriptive of your brand or website and is available.
It’s essential to consider your other domain name options and alternatives.
Because buying a domain name that is already taken can be challenging and occasionally expensive.
Now, you have successfully purchased a domain name.
It’s time to connect your domain name to your web host where your website data is hosted.
Here are some FAQs that are commonly asked.
How much does it cost to buy a domain name?
When you buy a domain name from a registrar for as little as $12.99 a year, you can get a domain name with an ordinary top-level domain, such as.com.
How do I renew my domain name?
Your domain name may be renewed using your domain control panel.
I highly advise using the auto-renew service to renew your domain name automatically.
You may quickly turn it off if you decide not to maintain a domain name.
Even if your domain registrar sends you reminders before your registration expires, you may miss those emails and lose domain name ownership.
With this how-to-buy domain name guide, you can easily buy a website domain name.
Did you purchase a domain name for your website?
Do let me know in the comment section below.